dearCrayolafaces.

"For you I'd bleed myself dry." Tuesday hotel mirror's optimistic.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Of Taco Joints and Life.

I abandoned my sweet Taco Bell today.

I felt like such a traitor as I gave in to many a request by Diana to try Taco Time, the instution which competes with my second home, the Bell.

As I walked alone through the doors of this stupid little building, I wanted to hate everything about it so much. I wanted to hate the food, and I wanted to hate the atmosphere.

The first thing I noticed was the dude who tried to play drums with us last week, he was working there. He gave me that stupid Roseburg-head-nod thing (which is SO 90's by now, right?) and then he told the other dude to give me my meal for free. See, 'cause I am in a rock band. Not.

Alright, so I got the large bean burrito and the large vanilla coke, still hoping that it would be the grossest shit so that I could go back to my happy Taco Bell and get on with my life. Well.

Hey you know what, why am I trying to make this seem all crazy? Bottom line is, this place is hot. It felt nicer in there than in the Bell, and the burrito was fresher, and possibly better, than at the Bell. I didn't feel sick afterward like I had eaten some chemicals and shit. The hot sauce was fair, although there isn't anything like Taco Bell's Fire Sauce. It was a pleasant experience, and there were no creepy mental guys coming in and grinning at me, like they have at Taco Bell.

So now theres this dilemma, see? Because I like the trashiness of Taco Bell. I sorta dig that sick feeling in my stomach after I eat the little burrito, and I also sorta like those mental guys. Well, maybe not the mental guys, but they do have Mountain Dew at the Bell, and not at Taco Time. Oh and also if I start frequenting the Time, then I will miss that wierd lady who works at Taco Bell who knows my order by heart and who always tells me I should get a job there so that I don't have to pay for all this food. You see, Taco Bell is gloriously trashy. It is the crossroads of everything repulsive and beautiful about Roseburg. And my cravings are still directed toward the Bell.

I really don't know what to do. But I will admit, I was wrong about the Time. Place is respectable. Sorry Diana for hating on your favorite little fast-food joint. I will still most likely make make daily trips to Taco Bell, but now, if I am closer to the Time, that option is always available, and I just might swing by there every once in awhile, too.

Goodnight.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Diana Martínez said…

    Bravo, John, bravo!

    I understand the magnitude of this change for you, Jon. It really must have been tough to eat your giant bean burrito without a random flower pot above your head and a whale staring at you from the other side. For that, I admire you Frank.

    Giving up "the Bell" and, finally, trying out Taco Time...
    unbelievable. You gotta admit though, Taco Bell is so 90's!

    peace
    -Taco Bell's conspirator

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger John said…

    Yeah, um... this thread is about Taco joints, not stuffed animals...

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger John said…

    UPDATE: since I am here in Washington this week, I decided this would be a great time to stop eating at either place, since the only healthy choice is to not eat at either the Bell or the Time, right?

    Wrong. I walked off my first plane into the Las Vegas airport at like 2 last night and guess what was right there in front of my face? Yeah you know it. Forget about giving it up; I got like this burrito supreme and a large drink and I was in heaven. Seriously, all the other people in the terminal were probably like, "Who's the creep over there by himself with the burrito and the fat grin on his face?" Like seriously, though, when I was on the plane I had the maddest Bell cravings, and then for it to be right there waiting for me? So good.

    Anyway. Just an update.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger ** said…

    here in greenville sc, we have a local taco shop that i started going to as a kid. its great and all. cheap... mmmmm.


    justin

    http://justincash.blogspot.com/

    http://justinmcashportfolio.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger John said…

    Well next time I am in Greenville, I am gonna swing by there and pick up a burrito or something. Thanks for the recommendation, stranger.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home